Table of Contents
- 1 General information about hair loss
- 2 Conditions that can cause hair loss
- 3 Other factors that cause hair loss
- 4 Failures that can lead to hair loss
- 5 Hair loss in men
- 6 Hair loss in women
- 7 Remedies against hair loss
Hair loss is a problem facing both men and women. When the hereditary factor and improper care are out of the question, the loss of a large number of hairs can give us information about the condition of the organism.
General information about hair loss
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, a person loses daily, on average, between 50 and 100 of hairs, most often during shower, drying or brushing hair. Hair loss is therefore a normal process whereby the aging threads are replaced with new ones, which will grow from the same follicl.
The loss of a larger number of hairs can hide different ailments.
Conditions that can cause hair loss
Hair loss can be a symptom of a condition and can be interpreted as an alarm signal given by the body. Among the conditions that can cause hair loss are:
- Hormonal Defects – Some hormonal imbalances, including those associated with thyroid disorders, like hormonal changes taking place during pregnancy, birth, premenopausal and menopause, can cause hair loss.
- Skin diseases – Different skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, or psoriasis can lead to hair loss.
- Physical trauma – Hair loss can also be the result of physical trauma or surgery, such events having the ability to suddenly interrupt the normal hair growth cycle. Within a few months, up to 75% of the scalp surface may be affected. The good news is that the hair will often regenerate.
- Infections – Certain infections such as impetigo (bacterial skin infection commonly seen in children) or syphilis can cause thinning and falling hair and can even lead to alopecia.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome – Polycystic ovary syndrome is one of the reasons why many women are experiencing hair loss or its appearance in unwanted areas.
- Stress – Physical or emotional stress is also one of the causes of hair loss. Usually, hair starts to fall after 2-3 months after the unpleasant episode, removing stressful factors by restoring normal hair growth within a few months.
- Some Autoimmune Diseases – Some of the symptoms of certain autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus (chronic inflammation and tissue damage) or Basedow Graves (exophthalmic ging) include hair loss, according to the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association.
Other factors that cause hair loss
Not just the conditions can lead to hair loss, but also genetics or lifestyle issues. Sometimes, despite caring for a healthy body, hair loss is hereditary and almost impossible to counteract. Other factors worth mentioning and causing hair loss are:
- Genetic inheritance – If it is gradually manifested, becoming more and more obvious within a few years, hair loss can have heritable causes, being inherited from one of the parents. Genetic inheritance is one of the most common causes of hair loss, the first signs being visible from the age of 20-30 years.
- Age – Nearly all people will notice thinning and falling hair as they age. However, in the case of up to 40% of women and men, this condition is more obvious, with the causes not only of age but also of the genetic factor and the level of hormones.
- Poor nutrition – Very often, hair loss is inadequate nutrition, poor in vitamins, minerals
andprotein. A too strictdiet, fast diets and eating disorders (bulimia, anorexia) can also lead to excess hair loss.
- Hair Loss Mistakes – Some shampoos, frequent use of the dryer, stretching the hair with the plaque, the habit of tightening the hair with an elastic also aggresses the hairs and causes loss of the capillary adornment.
- Environmental factors – Atmospheric pollution, X-ray exposure, and swimming pool chlorine or certain metals that can be deposited on the scalp can trigger the loss of a larger number of hairs.
Failures that can lead to hair loss
A common cause of hair loss is the lack of vitamins or minerals.
- Iron deficiency has as a consequence the hair loss. Egg yolk, poultry liver
andred meat are among the foods rich in iron. Vegetarians can introduce the ironinto food by eating spinach, parsley, and figs, etc.
- Lack of protein in the diet slows the hair regeneration process. Chicken breast, tuna, soybeans, walnuts
andeggs are among the richest sources of protein.
- Zinc deficiency can contribute to the loss of capillary adhesion. Zinc can be found in eggs, beans, red meat, peaches, apricots
- Vitamin B12 prevents anemia and plays an important role in the health and beauty of hair. For this reason, a deficiency of this vitamin can cause hair loss. The main sources of vitamin B12 are meat, eggs and fermented dairy, and some foods of plant origin (algae, Shitake mushrooms).
Not only the lack of certain nutrients can cause hair loss, but also the surplus. Excess vitamin A can cause hair loss.
Hair loss in men
About 40% of men are affected by hair loss by the age of 35, between 35 and 60 years old, increasing to 65%, according to the American Hair Loss Association.
Most of the time, hair loss in men, characterized by thinning and withdrawal of the hair, is caused by genetic inheritance, the affected persons having hair follicles with a genetic sensitivity to dihydrotestosterone, a biologically active metabolite of testosterone, produced mainly in the prostate.
Beyond genetic factors, lifestyle plays an important role, with various studies highlighting a significant link between smoking and alopecia, in men.
Hair loss in women
For women, the most common causes of hair loss are hormonal changes, including those associated with thyroid disease, iron deficiency (anemia), lack of vitamin B12, and sudden weight loss. Some studies mention the main causes of anemia and emotional stress.
Remedies against hair loss
If it is not about causes related to various affections or genetic factors, hair loss can be avoided by proper hair care and adopting a healthy lifestyle.
What we eat to have a healthy hair
Diet that prevents hair loss is rich in
- Omega-3 – salmon, nuts, soybeans, beans, flaxseeds
- Iron – pork liver, spinach, whole grains
- Zinc – beef, pork and chicken, mushrooms, beans, nuts, pumpkin seeds
- Selenium – eggs, beef, chicken, turkey, fish, mushrooms, cereals, onions
- Vitamin A – carrots, spinach, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peaches, mango
- Vitamin C – parsley, thyme, garlic, asparagus, pepper, cabbage, cauliflower, kiwi, oranges, grapefruit, currants, raspberries
- Complex of B vitamins – whole grains, nuts, peanuts, almonds, beans, peas, broccoli, cow’s milk, goat’s milk, tuna, salmon, seafood
Masks prepared in the house against hair loss
At hair level, we can apply treatments with castor oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil, or one of the following natural masks:
- The mask of egg yolk and olive oil is simply obtained from a mixture of 2 egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Before letting the treatment work for about an hour, it is advisable to make a scalp massage so the ingredients get into the hairline.
- The mustard hair mask is made of 2 tablespoons of mustard powder, 1 egg yolk, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. The composition is applied to the scalp only, covered with a warm towel and kept for 30 minutes – 1 hour, before being removed with warm water.
Rules in hair care
Hair needs special care to be healthy, and that only means a few simple rules, such as:
- Wash your hair 2-3 times a week. Washing more frequently is not recommended as natural oils protecting the hair are removed (the hydrolipidic barrier of the scalp is affected);
- The most suitable are gentle and natural shampoos without strong surfactants; a quantity of the size of a coin is sufficient for a medium-length hair, the shampoo
beingapplied only once;
- Hair should not be pounded immediately after bathing, but wrapped lightly in a microfibre towel that absorbs water without aggressing hair;
- Avoid using too often styling products, drying hair too hot, repeated discoloration, and using rigid hair clipping accessories.
In conclusion, it is important to identify the causes of hair loss, very often, hair loss can be prevented.
Hair Loss Recommended products
Hair Rebuilding Program
“The Ultimate Hair Rebuilding Program”
“The Step-By-Step Solution to Rebuilding Your Hair, Permanently”
Tressurge HAIR GROWTH SERUM
Tressurge helps you fight back against hair loss and regrow thicker, longer and healthier hair.
– Promotes thicker, Sexier hair
– Increase Hair Length and strengthen roots
– Promotes shiny and manageable hair
– Repairs and Restores Smoothness
– Prevents Hair Loss
– Uses zero synthetic or harmful ingredients, binders or fillers
– FDA Approved